Oscars 2016 – Highs and Surprises
With all the controversy about the lack of diversity in Oscars 2016 nominated films, how could the The Academy allow this to happen? The only thing better than the Oscars frocks is what people wear to the after parties. And even better than that, is this amusing commentary from Monique Bowley.
Here are few Highs and Surprises from Oscars 2016:
Highs of Oscars 2016:
1. Best Actor – Arguably the most talked about award of the night. Leonardo DiCaprio finally walks away with the big one! A class actor and a gentleman who should have won the prize a long time ago. I couldn’t help smiling from ear to ear during his standing ovation.
2. Best Picture – After a long time, a film worthy of this title wins the Oscar. Believe me – “Spotlight” is THAT good. I loved Michael Keaton’s reaction on winning.
3. Best Actress – Well-deserved. Brie Larson has just put herself on the map. If she chooses her roles well going forward, the sky is the limit.
4. Best Supporting Actress – Alicia Vikander won instead of Kate Winslet. In my opinion, this was the right decision. She was marvelous in her role in “The Danish Girl”
Surprises of Oscars 2016:
1. Best Supporting Actor – I was hoping for Stallone to walk away with the Oscar for playing second fiddle to Micheal Jordan but sadly that wasn’t the case. However, Mark Rylance was remarkable in his performance in “Bridge of Spies” and did make a strong case.
2. Chris Rock – Considering the amount of pressure he was under to deliver, with the whole “diversity” issue, he held his own. He certainly did not disappoint.
3. Priyanka Chopra – After wowing the world with her choice of a white Zuhair Murad white gown, Priyanka Chopra was shining in a beautiful grey Jenny Packham gown for the Vanity Fair Oscars Party. She presented the award for ‘Best Editing’ at the 88th Academy Awards. The Oscar for the category went to Margaret Sixel for ‘Mad Max: Fury Road.’